Contemporary Manuscript Illumination of Herat
About This Course
Manuscript illumination, which has been emerged with abstract and naturalistic features, is considered a national art in Afghanistan. In addition to being used for various purposes, it has been mainly used for decoration of religious, scholarly, and historical manuscripts. The content of this course addresses two main objectives: (a) contemporary manuscript illumination of Herat-focusing on principles of Herat Timurid School of Art (9th & 10th century A.H.S); (b) contemporary manuscript illumination of Herat in accordance to the contemporary manuscript illumination structures and forms of Herat.
During this six-week course, the following major topics will be covered:
- paper background preparation methods for miniature and manuscript illumination;
- designing manuscript illumination patterns: an introduction and explanation of their characteristics;
- introducing ways for decorating elements of manuscript illumination for a particular pattern or design, having various rhythms;
- methods of applying gold leaf on papers;
- ways for selecting colors and coloring papers in manuscript illumination;
- methods for holding pen and brush for the purpose of provoking and accentuating patterns. This course will be taught by Professor Ahmad Shoaib Saljoqi, who has designed and decorated hundreds of illuminated manuscripts.
- Critical thinking: ask questions, listen attentively to other perspectives, and search for solutions to problems.
- Creativity: feel free to use your imaginations, try new things, and think outside the box.
- Collaboration: work with other course participants, and be ready to learn with others.
- Communication: use respectful and academic language at all times;
- What Internet Browswer Should I Use?
- The Open edX platform works best with the latest version of Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Safari. It is advised to install more than one Internet browser on your computer because some of the problems you experience online could be fixed by switching the Internet browswer.
- Who Is This Course for?
- The Contemporary Manuscript Illumination of Herat is for those who are interested in art, specifically in manuscript illumination.
- How Can I Apply to This Course?
- Registering to the course is very easy for those who are registered to edX.org, search for Contemporary Manuscript Illumination of Herat and click on enroll button.
- How Much Time Do I Need to Commit to This Online Course?
- This course requires 8-10 hours of effort per week.
We expect the participants to practice the 4 Cs of 21st century skills throughout the course: